We are first class music entertainers who ensure the music and dance fit together and complement one another to provide the best entertainment for your function. We are not an agency but a group of musicians and callers/dance teachers with a passion for music and folk/popular dance who enjoy working together.
Your choice of music may be decided by price, but whichever you go for, DanceOn will ensure the combination works well. All the options include a full PA system and, even with a band, the facility to play recorded music from CD or if requested DVD, Ipod or PC.
We have a large selection of recorded music, including pop, rock and party tracks, or you can bring your own favourites for us to play. As we can play tracks before, the formal dancing, during the break and after the ceilidh/barn dance, you may not need to hire a DJ as well as us. We will be happy to discuss your function with you so that we can provide the best possible entertainment.
We have 3 regular callers who work individually or if required can work together usually in pairs. Having 2 callers is unusual, but it can have advantages:
- It provides a higher level of safety and supervision for a large function or venue.
- If Line Dancing is included, where the dances turn, it helps participants to have a caller at the front and the back of the dance floor, (or running round to all 4 walls!).
- All our callers are trained dancers and can provide show dances, but 2 dancers will give a better show than 1.
We are covered by insurance and are all CRB checked for working with children. The health and safety of you and your guests is a primary concern and we conduct risk assessments which can be produced in writing together with method statements if required. Some of our callers are trained First Aiders.
Ceilidh caller “extraordinaire” Morris dancer, melodeon player and all round human dynamo! John has been calling barn dances and ceilidhs for more years than he cares to mention. He is very knowledgeable about the dance repertoire and has a particular liking for and expertise in Scottish Country Dancing. If you book John to call for your function using recorded music he is likely to whip out his melodeon and drum machine to add some live music to the mix.
Always colourful and larger than life, John is also the official Town Crier for Royal Tunbridge Wells and can MC for your event as well as providing the entertainment.
Liz is a highly qualified teacher of dance, an Associate of the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance and holder of their Certificate of Dance Education. When she got together with John she was introduced to Ceilidh and Barn dances, (not to mention Morris) and has been calling with John (now her husband) and individually ever since. She in turn introduced John to Line Dance and Latin American so they are both now “all-rounders”. Liz brings her own witty, glamorous style to any event and is particularly good with children.
Gillie is an experienced dancer and teacher of dance and, like Liz, is an Associate of the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance. She can turn her hand to almost any dance style although her specialism is Line Dance and she and Liz run Pink Cadillacs Line Dancing, providing regular classes and a Display Team. As a teacher, she is excellent at providing dance for children. Gillie and Liz have both received specialist training in inclusive dance and can suggest dances for guests who are less able, including wheelchair users, although if there are special requirements it helps to know in advance.
- 1: Recorded Music: We have a large selection of Barn dance, ceilidh and line dance CDs all selected to be the correct tempo and length for the dances. In some cases the tracks have been specially recorded for us. The recorded music option will give you high quality entertainment at a very modest cost and is ideal for socials, and fund raising events. We can theme the event to be all one dance style, e.g. all Scottish or all American, or we can mix and match, with a few fun (often rather silly) dances thrown in. Although you may book the function for 1 caller with recorded music, if 2 callers are free, particularly John and Liz, they are so keen you might get 2 for the price of 1 with a little live music from one or the other added in.
- 2: Recorded Music + 1 Musician: This is an option that, while not breaking the bank, will guarantee you live music during the evening. As John can play an instrument and call, you will have a duo plus drum machine for some dances, virtually a full band!
- 3: A Duo: One of our favourite duos is Swallowtail, guitar and fiddle, but there are other musicians we know who can work as duos with different combinations of instruments, e.g. flute or violin and keyboards/accordion, depending on your choice of musical sound.
- 4: A Trio: Swallowtail can add an extra musician to make a trio. Click here to hear a music file of Swallowtail playing as a trio a set of jigs with John Scholey calling “the Hullichan”. Again we can offer other combinations of musicians to meet your requirements.
- 5: A 4 piece band: We work with several good 4 piece bands, including specialist Scottish and Irish bands. If you are looking for a general barn dance band, then Feed the Pony would be a good choice, click here to listen to hear Feed the Pony.
- 6: Bigger Bands: John and Liz are the regular callers with popular ceilidh band ThingumaJig, www.thingumajig.org, and the band may be booked through Danceon at no extra cost. Samples of their music appear on the website together with lots of nice comments about the callers! ThingumaJig is usually a 5 piece band, but can add extra musicians if required. We also call with Moondance Ceilidh Band www.moondance.org.uk, and can find larger bands on request.
If you would like some disco dancing as well as a barn/line dance or ceilidh, we have high quality PA equipment and can bring some disco lighting. This will give you a disco add-on at a reasonable cost without having to pay for a separate DJ.
We have lots of playlists catering for most musical tastes, or you can bring you own music, the choice is yours.
We are fully insured, have all the necessary licences for using CDs and have comprehensive risk assessments for all our dance >activities. We also have full Criminal Records Bureau clearance for working with children. Our callers and musicians are highly qualified and very talented.
If we are not available on a particular date, we will if possible, recommend another band and/or caller we believe can meet your requirements and our standards.